Territorians can soon have their say on the development of the Northern Territory strategic water plan.
The strategic plan for water is an election commitment and will provide a reform pathway to increase water security for all Territorians.
The strategic plan will:
- put water for people and communities first
- be informed by the best available science, data and knowledge
- help deliver water for local jobs right across the Territory
- provide for transparent, fair and streamlined governance and decision making that attracts job creating investment
- ensure that environmental and cultural flows are protected
- be adaptable to the impacts of climate change
- educate and inform the community about the value of water as a precious and finite resource
- help ensure our existing water resources are used in an efficient and sustainable manner.
A directions paper to assist engagement in developing the strategic plan will be released over the coming months.
Make sure you have your say on the Territory’s water security future.
Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security
The Office of Water Security reports to the Minister for Water Security through the chief executive officer of the Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security.
The Office of Water Security has functions that are separate to the rest of the department and other government agencies with a single, broad-reaching task, to develop the Northern Territory strategic water plan.
For more information about the department’s functions, including permits and licenses, go to the Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security website.